Happy US Thanksgiving, American friends! Fun facts: Americans consume 400 million pounds of cranberries a year and 20% of this number is consumed during Thanksgiving. 46 million turkeys are consumed in the US during Thanksgiving. Since the first 3-day feast held to celebrate a bountiful harvest in 1621 in the US, Americans have gotten together at Thanksgiving with friends and family to eat, watch football and shop! 95% of Americans spend the holidays with family.
While mashed potatoes may take the prize as the #1 side dish preferred by 31% of Americans, they were not on the first Thanksgiving menu. One of the first items served during Thanksgiving all those years ago? Corn!
This salad is not a traditional Thanksgiving side, but who says you can’t change things up? This fabulous salad contains corn, avocados and tomatoes and the good news is that you can make it ahead of time, as it gets better as it sits. It’s super easy, quick to make, bright and colourful on the plate and can be scaled to feed a crowd! (Take that, cranberries!)
Since there is a bit of overeating that goes on at Thanksgiving, this is a healthy side option. Avocados are high in glutathione which is a powerful antioxidant necessary for a healthy immune system (winter is coming, people)! This corn, avocado and tomato salad is vegetarian, good for celiacs and is gluten-free
To all our American friends, enjoy the holiday feasts and great shopping deals!
Prep time: 10 minutes; Chill time: 1 hour+; Serves: 2 – 4
What you need:
- 1 cup corn (cooked and sliced off the cob, frozen or canned)
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 1/2 cups (roughly 1/2 pint) grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 red onion, thinly diced
- 2 -3 tbsp Cilantro-Lime Dressing (recipe below)
What you do;
- In a large bowl, add the corn, avocado, tomatoes and red onion
- Add the dressing
- Gently toss
- How easy is that?!
- Easy and healthy!
- Give a shoutout to the veggie which has been around since the first Thanksgiving: corn!
- Let it hang out in the fridge, the flavours get really nice the longer it sits!
Cilantro-Lime Dressing (cilantro haters, you can substitute basil!)
What you need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lime (approximately 1 tbsp)
- zest of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp cilantro (or basil, if you hate cilantro)
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- salt to taste (roughly 1/8 tsp)
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- pinch of sugar
What you do:
- Put all ingredients in your blender, Magic Bullet or use an immersion blender
- Blend until mixed
- Use for salads, dips etc.