Hello spring! I’ve been so looking forward to you! I’m sick of winter. Let’s be honest, I was sick of winter after the second day it was -10ºC in a row, let alone after a week of cold temperatures. Last year, I said goodbye to winter with the “Goodbye Winter, Hello Spring Salad” . This year I’m saying hello to spring with a salad that uses some of those winter flavours.
Brussels sprouts are something that I hated as a kid. Boiled Brussels sprouts – ICK! I used to call them mutant skunk cabbages (sorry, Mom!) but as an adult, I have to admit I’m liking them more and more. Maybe it’s because they are not boiled, but roasted (Pancetta Brussels Sprouts) or in this case finely shredded into a salad. Adding some dried cranberries and toasted and salted pecans gives you a little sweet and a little crunch in your salad. Besides, what doesn’t taste better than Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese?
With the exception of finely slicing your sprouts with a mandolin – which is not difficult to do, but watch your fingers! – this is a really easy recipe that pulls together pretty quickly.
So, on the first official day of spring, I’m saying goodbye winter! I hope I’ve seen the last of you this year!
Prep time: 15 minutes; Serves: 4 – 6
What you need:
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted and salted pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar (not pictured)
What you do:
- Shred the Brussels sprouts into a large bowl using a mandolin (or finely chop with a knife) – watch your fingers!
- Add the dried cranberries
- Add the chopped pecans
- Add the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Make your dressing by adding to a mason jar the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon, salt, pepper and sugar, shake well
- Approximately 30 minutes before serving, add dressing and toss (if you don’t have time, you can toss the dressing in before you serve it – I like to let the dressing sit to incorporate the flavours into the salad)
- Toss with dressing
Welcome Spring! What took you so long?