Thanksgiving Monday! Let’s give thanks for a day off work! Most people probably spent some or all of the weekend eating, and probably eating a lot!
While many families cook large turkeys, my family always cooked chicken. I’m not sure why, but the Lawrence Thanksgiving dinner was usually chicken-based rather than turkey-based.
Now one of the good things about Thanksgiving is the leftovers! I love leftovers! I like to reboot my leftovers so that I don’t feel like I’m eating the same meal twice. Getting two or sometimes three different meals out of one meal lets you cook once and eat twice (or three times)! After the huge quantity of food consumed this weekend, I’m probably not alone when I say I want to lighten things up a bit. Hello salads!
I love this Southwest Chop salad! It’s so fresh and bursting with flavour! While I used leftover chicken (from a recipe that will be appearing in a future post), you can just as easily use turkey. The hardest thing about making this recipe is the chopping. The Southwest flavours of corn, black beans, peppers and onions work really well together and are usually ingredients you have on hand!
The 3-Minute Creamy Spiced Avocado dressing is amazing! Super creamy and rich tasting, without cream – don’t worry spice wimps, it’s not spicy. It takes 3 minutes to make (and that is generous!). You can use the dressing for dips or spread it on sandwiches. (If you want to do a vegetarian version, it’s pretty easy, just leave out the chicken.) This is a great meal for celiacs or people who are following a gluten-free diet. Having vegetarians over? Add the chicken or turkey to your meal only!
For a time saver, you can chop everything the night before and then you’ll be ready to go in the morning! I made this recipe for one as I was taking it to work. As you can see, it is super easy to double, triple or quadruple for more people or for dinner salad or as a side dish!
Prep time: 10 minutes; Serves: 1 (recipe can easily be doubled)
What you need:
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken or turkey, skin removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup cooked (canned) black beans
- 1/2 orange pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 green onion, sliced (white and green part)
- 1/2 cup of cooked corn (you can use fresh cooked and cut off the cob, frozen or canned)
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped (omit if you hate cilantro)
- 3-Minute Creamy Spiced Avocado dressing (recipe below)
- jalapeños (optional)
What you do:
- Chop all your ingredients and put on a plate, bowl or Tupperware container (if taking to work or school)
- Add jalapeños, if using
- Drizzle with 3-Minute Creamy Spiced Avocado Dressing
- Toss in the dressing
- Healthy and super yummy!
3-Minute Creamy Spiced Avocado Dressing
What you need:
- 1/2 avocado, depitted, skin removed
- 1/2 lime, juiced (roughly 1 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp Mexican oregano (plain oregano is fine)
- 1/8 tsp chipotle pepper powder (you can use chili powder instead)
- 1 tsp cilantro (omit if you hate cilantro)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water
- salt and pepper to taste
What you do:
- Chunk up the avocado [ELIN’s TIP: if you score it up in advance it is easier to scoop out]
- Put all ingredients into a blender (I used my Magic Bullet)
- Blend up
- If you want to make two different versions, pull some out and then add the cilantro
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper
- Voila! That is it!
- Super easy and super creamy!